Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Calling London Health and Smoking

Health and Smoking.

Being told by your doctor to kick the habit after over thirty years can be a bit daunting.

I grew up in a different era when smoking was socially acceptable, but at the time, as a lad, I thought people only smoked after having sex.

You saw it all the time at the pictures, and on the telly, man and woman kissing, fade to black then a train and tunnel,  ram bashing at a castle door, or what not and then back to the happy couple having a smoke. So you can imagine my surprise seeing my Dad having a post match puff in the bar with his mates at the local football club.

Think of it, me back then as an eighteen year old gagging for a snout, but having to go through the rigmarole of queuing up in Soho’s red-light district to see a prostitute just so I could have a fag with my pint. Chain smoking certainly burnt a hole in my pocket as a young man.

I later found out that sex was part of life, not nicotine related at all, but by then it was too late I had syphilis and lung cancer.

No comments: